Sunday, June 22, 2008

Good To Be Home But What An Experience......

OK so here it is the grand finale.......well sort of.
I have posted these pictures and I guess I have posted them from most recent to oldest. The picture to the left is the picture of Thunder Bay as I flew into the city to catch the plane to Toronto and then off to Ottawa...home. I am home now and it all seems so surreal. I am very glad to be home missed all that is here that you can well imagine. The last two days of my experience was really spent in the air aside from



Thursday night. I flew from Bearskin Lake to Summer Beaver via, Big Trout Lake, Wipekeka and Sioux Lookout. The next picture to the left is a picture I saw flying out of Summer Beaver to Thundrer Bay at a place called Lansdowne House. The church was located on that island and the homes quite a piece on the mainland. I thought it looked pretty cool. Again I am telling the story a bit backward. I got into Summer Beaver at about 5 pm and went to visit a



couple people that I had met before. Sophie was the lady in the earlier pictures that was making moccasin's. She made me some moccasins so I went to see her to pick them up and she was so happy to see me. We had a nice visit. She had told me that her husband had been killed in the airplane crash that I had written about earlier. Her son works at the Nurses Station and the picture I posted below she wanted me to show her son, she was pretty pleased. I also spent




some time with Elijah as he was working the night shift. I of course wanted to go and watch the sunset one last time at my favorite spot at summer beaver.

So the picture to the left is Summer Beaver from the air.





And another one on the left of summer beaver from the air.










Just a peak from the window when we took off from Summer Beaver.










Picture of me and Elijah and Don (from the health centre, Summer Beaver) Elijah came up to the airport to say goodbye to me.. He was a really great person and I will miss him. What an artist he is so talented, I have a few of his pieces and he is truly gifted. Elijah and I spent Thursday evening learning how to use Skype....so hopefully it will work.







Another picture of Don and Elijah.......











So this is a picture of a school bus at Summer Beaver he morning I was leaving. Things are a little greener as you can see than the last pictures I posted from here. There were no leaves on the tress or very little.






This is a picture of Sophie with one of the slippers she made for me. She is such a sweet lady. We chatted for a bit and although she was not fluent in English knew enough that I could understand. She told me that it took a long time to put the decals on the slippers and very little time to sew them together.




The picture to the left again is Summer Beaver now the second time I am here nice and green. I had another offer to go fishing Thursday night as I was walking through the community two gentleman stopped in a truck and asked me to go fishing with them. They said hey do you want to go fishing.......I was quite excited but Rob was in the back of mind saying don't take any chances play safe.......so I declined. I did not know who



they were but soon found out. They told me thatone was the Chief of the Band council and the other was a council member. I am sure I would have been safe but for some reason was not as sure as with Elijah.

The picture to the left is of the sunset at Summer Beaver. I went down to watch and as I said before I am getting out in the nick of time. The mosquitoes are really bad now. I had to wear a


hat that someone bought me for my birthday and yes I looked like a freak but the bugs were well lets say dry...

Nice pic again of the sun setting in summer beaver.







Here is a picture of Bob Yellowhead an artist of Summer Beaver that I had met on my first visit and came back to see him. Here he is with hi little girl. He has about 5 kids and is a great dad. I have watched him interact with his children and he is quite loving and caring. Anyway Bob made me a few items and I have taken a picture of him with them.





Another pic of Summer Beaver in the green more summer looking then when I left.









A picture of the topography across from Bearskin Lake to Summer Beaver.









Artwork at the Nurses Station at Bearskin Lake.











Ok I put this picture here to tell you about another sad thing that occurs here in the North. As you see in the picture we have an expectant mother coming to board the plane as we were going to Sioux Lookout from Bearskin Lake. All expectant mothers must leave the community at 37 weeks often leaving husband and/or other children behind until after the birth. Another seperation from their families.



This is a picture of Bearskin Lake from the air. See how all communities are located on the lakes well hard to aoid up here I guess.









A picture at the Bearskin airport before we boarded. See the Tikenagan on the ground that someone was bringing back to the community. I saw a couple new mothers coming back from having their babies.







OK the next few pictures are of my fav's sunset. These are all of Bearskin Lake a spot that I had to walk only but 6 minutes to get to. What beautiful sunsets.

Please take the time to comment after reading this blog for the last time. I would like your feedback and to know if you were reading along. I am back in Ontario for my last 6 weeks of placement at a Family Health Team. August 9



write my final University Exam an Oct 22 write my Canadian National Exam. I have enjoyed sharing my experience with and am sad to end the blog now. I have enjoyed reading your comments an in fact that was one factor that lead to me continue to journal my experience in this blog.






Sunset Bearskin Lake










Sunset Bearskin Lake










14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Beautiful pictures (I bet you frame some of these), and what new friendships you have made over the past six weeks. Looks as if the friendships you've made will be lasting ones, not only for you but them as well. What wonderful gifts they have given you, there is a lot of talented individuals up there. I bet Rob and the kids are so glad to see you!!!! Thanks for taking us on this journey with you. I know this has been such an extraordinary experience for you, this is the first time that you have had to leave your family for such a long duration of time. I only wish we were closer so we could get together, talk about your travels in person and oh yeah maybe play some cards...LOL! Love Ya! Valorie :) xooxoxoxoxooxo

Anonymous said...

Wow! Beautiful pictures (I bet you frame some of these), and what new friendships you have made over the past six weeks. Looks as if the friendships you've made will be lasting ones, not only for you but them as well. What wonderful gifts they have given you, there is a lot of talented individuals up there. I bet Rob and the kids are so glad to see you!!!! Thanks for taking us on this journey with you. I know this has been such an extraordinary experience for you, this is the first time that you have had to leave your family for such a long duration of time. I only wish we were closer so we could get together, talk about your travels in person and oh yeah maybe play some cards...LOL! Love Ya! Valorie :) xooxoxoxoxooxo

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Cyndi....glad your trip back was uneventful....been some pretty weird storms in this part of the north that would not go well with the small aircraft you were on, and Fridy was a dandy.......loved the pics, especially the sunsets, some great memories for sure...thanks so much for taking the time to update the blog, it was a great journey for all the readers, and a wonderful diary of your very memorable experiences....see you very soon....ps..hope Rob is feeling better with his nurse at home....love Shirley and Jerry

Anonymous said...

I've read every word of your blog (aside from the comments) and it's been extremely inspiring. Thanks for sharing your trip. Now I will walk over to the office to find you! Welcome back Cyndi. I finally started walking at lunch. Helps me justify my ice cream!

Anonymous said...

Great Job Hun, thanks for sharing, glad to have you home...Love Rob

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Cindy....I Bet Rob and the Kids are glad your home safe...although i never commented on every entry of your blog i tried to log on every second day to see what was up,you did a great job talk to you later....Scott

Anonymous said...

I am so proud that you are my mom, even though i missed you more then anything i am glad that you got to see such a beautiful and interesting part of Ontario. However i have never been happier to have you back in all of our lives. Love You xoxoxo Boo Boo

Anonymous said...

I think you are glad to be home. Love the pics. Have to say that we have nothing to complain about were we live as to what life is like up north, but they have one thing we don’t have and that is, the view is great, to bad you couldn’t take that home with you. The envy of all this is, the experience of it all and that you will have it the rest of your life. Hope Rob is doing better and hope to see you soon.
School Boy

Anonymous said...

Hey Cyndi,
It is so great to have you back in the centre. I have enjoyed reading your blog on my early morning rises. You really should consider writing a book as you are very gifted with writing. I felt like I was living the experience with you. Having travelled around the world, I can tell you honestly that you will cherish this precious experience more and more with every year that passes.
Welcome home Cyndi!
Sherri

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about your adventures and viewing your pictures...well most of them, the stuff cooking in the kettles was gross. Thanks for taking me along on your journey via the web. Great to have you back to work, you certainly were missed. Life is about making memories...looks like you have many from your Northern Exposure.....Summer Beaver.
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Glad you are home. Missed you but looks like you had a great experience. Vicky

Anonymous said...

So great to have you back, glad you had a good time.


EVE

Anonymous said...

Well i only just finished reading tonight.........i have enjoyed being with you for your Northern Exposure the photo's are great and found your tale very interesting where are you going next time.???? Hope to see you soon i know you have a lot of catching up with your family but one day soon give me a call. love Paula.

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I' d like to write like this too - taking time and real effort to make a good article... but what can I say... I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.