Thursday, May 29, 2008

Bearskin Lake a city compared to Summer Beaver



Well thought you might want an update on wazzup. Not a whole lot yet, took me two weeks to settle into Summer Beaver so I don't expect too much at this point. Staff here are great. This is a three nurse station, Summer Beaver was a two nurse station. The station itself is much newer than the last one and as you can see from the pics of the room I am staying..... a step up. The clinic again was slow but guess that is the way it goes up here feast or famine.



It was OK today as I am just trying to find things anyway. Took a walk into town and I can notice an immediate difference. It is certainly more updated. They have two large stores, both carry groceries and one carries many other supplies including electronics. The prices are still high but gas is only 1.49 per litre. There are many more cars and trucks on the road here. The houses are newer, still run down but really much better than




Summer Beaver. I really did not go to far tonight as I had some other things to do but have lots of time to explore a bit. Not sure I will ever find a peice of property like the one in Summer Beaver. My first patient today is a 23 year old who has an addiction to Oxycontin. He is trying to quit and was here for some additional support. The nurse in charge at the station told me that alcohol is not a problem on this reserve it is drugs. I am sure I




will learn more about the people here but I am told every reserve is different. Our station is sitting very close to the lake and there is a path to the lake so I think I will take a walk tomorrow night and scout it out. I wish Elijah was here I am sure we would test our luck with the fish.

You may be wondering why I took the pics of the food above. Just wanted you to see how exensive things are and most stuff does not look fresh as



from the rotting oranges. The grapes cost 12.61 and the corn on the cob was 1.25 per ear. But more food in this store that is for sure. Well have to scoot homework tonight and may get to bed at a decent time. Talk soon.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know, today is Nation day of Action for Aboriginal Peoples in Canada.
Just thought you might want to know.
Josh

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a fancy looking apartment! Is it just for you?
The guy is addicted to Oxycontin??? He'd fit right in with 1/2 the people on King ST.!! Is there methadone up there for him or something else?

Glad you are in an updated environment! I am sure you will have many adventures there as well! Keep the blogs coming! Miss you! Love you!Stay safe!

Anonymous said...

Wow...the things you miss if you dont check your blog every day....enjoy reading your blogs...forgot to tell you cindi...took your advice on ChampX.....its been 8 weeks so far
Stay safe
Scott

Anonymous said...

This looks more like civilization.
Now is it "Bear" that you will be eating now
EVE

Anonymous said...

Morning Hun

Well I guess I was not the first to post today but I think you know why.

The new place looks real nice and I am sure you will be meeting and fitting into the community in no time.

Keep the Blog coming as you seem to have a real tribe of followers checking in daily.

Miss Ya Luv Ya ..Rob

Anonymous said...

I was checking up on Bearskin Lake and there was a site for all the education centers, turns out they are looking for teachers. Maybe I'll end up there someday myself :)

I know you are super super busy, but if you find yourself in a school again I would love to know anything you can find out!

Miss you
Heather

Anonymous said...

Sure I am going to the school next week to do a lice check so I will look into it for you K.....miss you guys... Cyndisue

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Scott, it will only get easier so keep it up. Champix has really good results so way to go! Take care and hope to see you soon. xxoxo from your crazy sis in law...

Anonymous said...

Hi Cyndi, just back from some business in Toronto, stayed overnight in Yorkville at the Intercontinental, and compared the over the top environment of the bit city to your surroundings.....personally I like the quieter surroundings that you are in.....hope things going well.....love your daily updates so don't be late...love Jerry & Shriley