Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sunday May 25th...............Quiet Day


So thought I would post a picture of this version of the Superstore (picture at left). I have two pictures one is of the main store and the other is a version of Beckers (below). It is open when the Superstore is closed. I had posted a picture of another little store a few days back and they call that one the chips and pop store. Not much in it but a few staples.

So I was listenting to the local radio staion Sunday when I was doing my homework. The radio station connects all of the 1st Nation Reserves. It is very interesting to listen to, again the genre is mainly county with a mix of old and new favoritews as well as songs in their native
tongue. The radio plays a song by Faith Hill in English and the announcer is talking in Ojicree. I have noticed how the broadcast is shared among the reserves depending on the daily activities. The post I put down below of the gospel was broadcast from Summer Beaver and Sunday the broadcast was from another Reserve. The Reserves often celebrate somthing and then hold a Gospel. At the gospel the locals get up and show their tallent (and for some not so much). It is really interesting, at times kinda like a Karoke. Local people sing songs across the broadcast and anyone can call and and request a song. The locals take turns singing to the radio listeners. Tune, pitch and timing are unimportant it is enjoyed by all. A pause in the music and the Lords Prayer and a reading from the scripture. I did not realize how strong the faith was throughout this community. A community plagued with an underlying sadness and depression that I read every day at the clinic in their charts. 5 attempts at hanging, ETOH abuse these are the most common findings in thier past medical history. I talked to a woman who told me that she had a problem with alcohol, she binged, she said that when she starts drinking she drinks for 48 hours straight. She was having an CT scan of her head because her husband beat her up with a frying pan.

2 comments:

CyndiSue said...

Ironic how it all works eh?

Love You Mummy. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love that you called THAT the Superstore and Becker's! You are too funny!! Wonder if there is a pharmacy in the back??
Hope the new place is working out for you! Also glad to hear that parcels will be forwarded to you. Jack will be some upset if you don't get his "special" delivery!!
The new place looks ALOT more advanced then Summer Beaver. Do they actually have wheelchair access buttons on the building? What kind of diesel fuel runs those???LOL!!
I miss you on MSN...I miss you in REAL life more! Stay safe, send me your phone number for the new place, I will call you this time! Love ya Sista!