Tuesday, May 20, 2008

One week down 5 to go, a day with the children.......


A trip to the local public school today. We went to the school as a part of the sexual education program. It was really interesting. The school is fairly new, the old school is quite run down I will post a pic of that another day. One hundred students from Kindergarden to grade 10 attend here and after grade 10 they can complete their education in Thunder Bay or Sioux Lookout. Some dont go any father then grade 10. The boys of the class we taught range in age from 12-15 all dressed in hoodies and ball caps. The girls much what you would find back at home. I was impressed with the murals puts athens to shame and most painted by the students, with assistance.
I now have to share my room with a dentist that is here until friday. He comes up from Toronto a couple times per year. He said it is pretty sad. Basically he spends most of the day is just pulling teeth. He said he fills some but pulls many more. Tomorrow it is three's company as the Doctor arrives for the remainder of the week. We shall be cozy in the apartment that is posted below.
Not too impressed when I woke up today to find snow on the ground and it was snowing. Talked to Peter today the man who was going hunting yesterday. He got 3 ducks and his partner got 15. He said they were out until 12:30 am and often stay out until 2 am.
This picture is of the newly built school. It is the nicest building on the reserve. They also have one school bus that drives around the villiage and picks kids up for school.
Child safety is really not enforced here. As I said before they feel that children have to learn for themselves. Yesterday when I was walking in town I noticed a car with one of the back windows covered with a plastic gargage bag and a child hanging out the window on the other side standing on the seat.



Playing basketball at recess. They had an indoor recess because the teacher said it was due to the weather. I did not find it that bad and I know back home out teacher would kick us out even if it was -25 and said dont forget you hat.....




Picture of Nancy (right) the nurse I am working with, Sara (left beside me) teacher she is married to a first nations and Victoria she is a worker here at the clinic helps interpret.

Spent have the day at the clinic and the other half at the school. Getting a little more familiar with the lay of the land here. Saw 7 patients with upper respiratory infections, ankle strain and earaches etc and again I was the lab tech drew blood and the pharmacist mixed medication and dispensed.


I was a little concerned for these kids out on the ice. There are some open spots here and there and I was so afraid I would see them fall through the ice. Guess they know more than me.



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

great entry so interesting, what a great experiance ... 5 weeks will be over in a blur enjoy the moment...So Very Proud of you... Luv Rob

Anonymous said...

Luv the paintings. Will they come down here and paint a barn, which will spruce up the place here. She has gone to bed so I thought I would write something. Find the writings and pic interesting hope you keep it up and have a good time. Your done or almost done but me, an other, don't know how long.
SchoolBoy

Anonymous said...

Hey Cyndi,
Love your postings. Hard to believe you have seen so much in 1 week. Life changing, eh? Makes Athens seem like the hub of the universe I bet.
All is well here with everything moving right along here on schedule. Drywalling is done, painting to start tomorrow and then flooring on Thursday or Friday....
Will keep you posted!
Sherri

CyndiSue said...

That is so exciting I won't recognize the place when I get back. Hope all is well at the office say hi to the girls and boy for me miss you all can't wait to get back and settled in. Yeah a pretty neat place to visit but do miss home. Well take care and talk soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow...everyday it gets more interesting. It was so nice to see an actual picture of YOU! Looking forward to your next blog! Keep up the good work.Stay safe. Miss you! Love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mama, I love that you are describing thing so amazingly, it makes me feel like you are talking right to me. I miss you so much but everyday i read i am more and more proud of you! xoxoxox cant wait to hug you again! Love Boo Boo

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis, Wow what a different world you're living in right now. You not being able to speak the langauge they can already tell what a kind and genuine person you are. They seemed to be trusting you and that would be a hard thing them to do with most outsiders. I saw the pics of the kids and your concern about them falling in, all I could think of was when you were young and falling in the ice at Christy Lake so you had first hand experience on how frightening that can be. Sounds like you are settling in much better now, and feeling more comfortable with your surroundings. I really have to feel for them with their living conditions, I would have thought it would be better than the pics you've posted. Well it's late and I have to go to bed, just wanted to say we are all proud of you! Love Ya Valorie :)

Anonymous said...

Very interesting,enjoy logging on and reading your posts,just 1 question how are you doing with food,are you getting enough?
Take Care...Scott

Anonymous said...

Hey Cynthia: Weather not much better here, temp is only +6 and rainy. Only difference is we are looking at the sky saying "at least it's not snow". Sounds like you will have some great stories to tell when you get back to us. Take care, we miss you here at the clinic.

Anonymous said...

SNOW! It's not the warmest day here but we don't have any snow! How do you eat ice cream with snow on the ground! Do they have ice cream there? Miss ya round the office.

Anonymous said...

HEY CYNDI

WOW INTERESTING BLOGS. I LOVE THE PICS...I ACTUALLY DID A SCHOOL TRIP WITH COURTNEY TO THE NAC (NATIONAL ART GALLERY) AND THERE WAS A NATIVE ARTIST EXIBITED THERE...THESE KIDS ARE JUST AS GOOD AS HIS WORK. STILL MISS YOU. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DARLIN AND YOU WILL BE BACK HOME BEFORE YOU KNOW IT!!!!!

LOVE CINDY B

Anonymous said...

Hi Cyndi
Like the others I'm enjoying your blog and pictures. I want to hear more about the type of patients and the pathology that you are seeing. Keep learning.....it is all good stuff!! Can't wait for you to be back and part of the team again here. Take care.
Wendy
PS We got our soldier back from Afghanistan yesterday!! I'm a much relieved mother-in-law!

Anonymous said...

Hi MUMMY!!! I miss you sooo much! life is not the same without you around. its pretty quite around the house cuz Britt and I work all the time and we usually get home late. But dont worry we are all getting a long good. We just really miss you! I cant wait for you to come home and i can pick your brain about your experience. Im sooooo jelouse!! One day you will have to take me there so i can meet all of your new friends. Im happy that you are having such an experience. Take care of yourself. oh yeah, have you seen any bears yet?? Love you mom! Love Cait